AVLF creates safe and stable homes and families by inspiring the fight for equal justice.
A consortium of three organizations – the Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation, the Center for Access to Justice at the Georgia State University College of Law, and Lawyers for Equal Justice – seeks a contract Staff Attorney with at least two years of residential landlord-tenant law experience in Georgia to supervise the Housing Court Assistance Center located in the Fulton County Courthouse. As currently constituted, the position will require an 8-hour per week commitment. Additional hours may be possible and required as the project grows.
The Housing Court Assistance Center provides legal advice and referrals to tenants who have come to the courthouse to file an Answer to an eviction. Volunteer attorneys and law students meet with tenants to answer questions about how to respond to lease termination or eviction notices in both public and private housing, how to enforce or defend rights under a lease, and other questions related to the landlord-tenant relationship. The Staff Attorney will be responsible for supervising the work of the law students and volunteer attorneys, as well as meeting with tenants him or herself. The Staff Attorney must be present at all times that the Center is open for business. Current hours are Tuesday and Wednesday mornings from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 p.m. Two additional hours per week may be necessary for administrative record-keeping.
- Licensed attorney in good standing, licensed to practice law in Georgia, with at least two (2) years of relevant legal experience (residential landlord-tenant law).
- Previous litigation experience representing tenants or landlords and/or representing low-income clients will be given strong
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and legal services to low-income individuals and/or communities, through pro bono work or otherwise, will also be given a strong
- Experience with volunteer recruitment and management is a
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with people of all ages and cultural backgrounds, including communicating with our diverse constituencies – from law firm partners, to court personnel and Judges, to potential
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and problem solve in a demanding and changing
- Proficiency or fluency in Spanish is a plus.
COMPENSATION: $30 per hour. This is a part-time contract position.
AVLF is an equal opportunity employer. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, criminal record, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law.
We’re also committed to building a diverse staff, and we strongly encourage applications from people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ people.