AVLF creates safe and stable homes and families by inspiring the fight for equal justice.
Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation (AVLF) seeks to hire a Director of Operations.
Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation (AVLF) is a nonprofit that stands with low-income Atlantans as they demand safe and stable housing, insist on fair pay, and break free from intimate partner abuse. We are the largest provider of pro bono legal services in Atlanta, and we leverage the collective power of our professional community to provide free legal and social services to our clients when they need it most.
About the Role
In this role, you will have responsibility over three main areas: managing human resource policies, overseeing financial and information-technology controls, and directing internal communications.
- You’ll ensure that our organization has strong and consistently applied policies and procedures around all human resources functions, including recruitment, retention, and professional development practices. You’ll help us retain talent and foster a positive organizational culture that reflects our core values.
- As Director of Operations, you will also be the guardian of our financial controls, making sure that they’re consistently applied and regularly evaluated as the organization continues to grow. (We grow quickly.) This also includes overseeing the provision of emergency financial assistance to our clients and our rapidly expanding use of technology.
- You’ll oversee all of our internal communications policies, optimizing our performance by promoting collaboration, organization-wide transparency, and a clear flow of information. You’ll help us reduce “information gaps” in our organization and make sure all of our staff feel in-the-know.
You will have a critical role in influencing our overall performance and in guiding our ability to achieve our strategic goals.
You are a seasoned executive who is deeply committed to the fight for equal justice in Atlanta. You are adept at unifying through example and embodying the core values of an organization, and you have the experience to show for it.
As a high-level strategist, you are equally skilled at practical implementation. You know how to optimize the performance of all areas of an organization by implementing tangible policies. You are experienced at recruiting talent and fostering a healthy, collaborative working environment for your team.
Our organization is in a period of intense growth. In just four years, we have grown from a staff of ten to forty full-time employees. In addition to sheer headcount growth, we now operate out of two courthouse-based and nine school-based satellite offices, manage a growing set of mobile resources focused on intimate partner abuse, and are navigating an upcoming shift in work culture and policy that allows for flexible scheduling, remote working, and open office space.
Because of this growth, the day-to-day operations of the organization are becoming increasingly complex. As our Director of Operations, you will provide high-quality, professional human resources leadership for a growing team, improve and ensure fidelity to financial controls, and institute a system and culture of effective internal communication that promotes collaboration, efficiency, and job satisfaction. You will be a champion for the following core values that shape our organization:
We build trust by serving with professionalism and integrity.
We know innovation demands that we ask, “Why?” and “Why not?”
We are collaborative.
We are inclusive and respectful, and we uphold dignity.
We show up with intention: tenacious and unafraid!
We advocate with passion and empathy.
- MBA or related field graduate degree preferred.
- 10+ years leading and influencing change in purpose-focused nonprofit or service-based organization.
- Demonstrated leadership in Human Resources, Finance, and general business operations.
- Prior demonstrated experience in driving a successful business transformation.
- Skilled in using digital technology, communication tools or networks to locate, evaluate, use and create information.
- Able to influence and lead peers in operating the business in a coordinated manner.
- Outstanding team building and people development skills with a high talent bar.
- A healthy sense of humor and humility are strongly desired.
- Full-time, permanent position
- Location: Atlanta, Georgia
- Generous fringe benefits
- Office Environment: Constant computer work requiring repetitive motion, prolonged sitting and sustained visual/mental demands.
Deeply passionate candidates are encouraged to apply by sending a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
AVLF is an equal opportunity employer. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, criminal record, protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by law.
We’re also committed to building a diverse staff, and we strongly encourage applications from people of color, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ people.