AVLF creates safe and stable homes and families by inspiring the fight for equal justice.
The position of Chief Administrator is a new position for the organization, combining the duties of the former Director of Operations with that of the Deputy Director with program oversight, administration, and operations. The rationale for this new position is to enable the organization to address the rapid growth of the last few years, the increased demand for its programs and services, and the need to develop a solid infrastructure that supports further growth and expansion. The position combines the duties of administration and operations to ensure the organization runs smoothly and all administrative functions are supporting programs and funding requirements. The organization is seeking that point person to ensure there are consistent policies and procedures, strong financial and HR systems, and an internal leader to coordinate and manage programs and operations across the entire organization.
AVLF is committed to continued growth in its programs and in building engaged and effective volunteer experiences for the attorneys and the firms they represent. The Board and the Executive Director need an internal leader and manager to support the staff in program delivery and the effective engagement of a diverse community of volunteers. Strong administration functions and operations is central to the success of the volunteers, staff, and programs.
The Chief Administrator is central to the success of the organization with internal leadership for Finance and HR functions. AVLF has strengthened its capacity in each of these areas with new positions and hires. Management is needed to build out the operations functions in these two areas and provide the internal support, policies and procedures and consistent implementation throughout AVLF.
This position will work with the Executive Director to develop and implement policies to
optimize all network services supporting AVLF programs, including finance, risk management,
insurance, office management, human resources, technology, regulatory compliance,
performance reviews and talent management. They will have a critical role in influencing AVLF’s
overall performance and in guiding AVLF’s ability to achieve its strategic goals. The successful candidate must be a seasoned executive with a commitment to “servant leadership,” adept at unifying through example and influence to optimize the performance of all areas of AVLF while maintaining and further developing AVLF’s core values and client-centered culture. The individual needs to possess both character and competence. Competence means that the leader has a track record of high ability and achieving results, with skills that are relevant. Character means that results and accomplishments are achieved with integrity and ethics. It is very important that they have passion for the mission and be a champion for the values that shape AVLF. These characteristics are key to their success.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the internal operations of the organization to ensure Executive Director can focus on
program strategy, external relationships, fundraising, and other activities to support the growth
of the organization.
• Work with Executive Director and Program Directors once strategy determined on
implementation, coordination, and collaboration among programs.
• Work with each department to set goals and outcomes to define success and develop internal
and external reporting dashboards, program monitoring and other tools to inform program
decisions, evaluation, and quality control.
• Ensure the organization has high quality volunteer programs, experiences and relationships that
engage and maintain effective partnerships with law firms and members of the legal
• Resolve internal issues in a timely manner among programs, staff, and others.
• Supervise controller to ensure accurate and accountable financial system.
• Work with programs and teams to develop annual budgets with assistance from finance staff. Oversee the annual budgeting process.
• Provide reports, analysis and financial information to the Executive Director, Program Directors,
Finance Committee of the Board and at appropriate Board meetings.
• Work with Controller to ensure smooth and timely audit process.
• Assist program directors with grant, contract, and other financial budget and reporting to
ensure AVLF meets all financial requirements.
HR system to support hiring, management, and retention.
• Supervise HR Director to ensure high quality system for hiring, managing, and retaining mission
• Ensure development and maintenance of HR policies and procedures as well as consistent
application of those policies across the organization.
• Along with HR Director, act as resource on personnel issues for all managers to ensure
accountability, timely resolution, and support to all employees of the organization
• Provide annual review of benefits and develop recommendations to leadership and appropriate
• Ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations.
• Provide oversight of annual performance review system.
• Manage the program directors to ensure they have the information, resources, day to day
guidance and support to be successful in their roles.
• Work with program directors to ensure implementation of strategy, strong client service and
volunteer support resources.
• Assist program directors in coordination and collaboration with other programs and key internal
leadership roles to support program deliverables.
• Assist program directors in development of agency wide policies and procedures as well as
specific policies and processes needed to support growth of their programs.
Education and Experience
Strong passion for the mission and programs of AVLF.
• Minimum 10 plus years’ experience in management, supervision, and senior level leadership.
• Demonstrated people skills with experience leading and managing other leaders and
• Demonstrated commitment to DEIB in an organization and the community.
• Solid understanding of fiscal planning, budgeting, and reporting.
• Ability to design, develop and evaluate internal operating systems and create consistency
across the organization.
• Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability in decision-making and problem-solving
• Excellent organizational and leaderships skills
• BSc/BA in business administration or relevant field; Masters or legal degree preferred.
• Preference for legal experience and/or background working in nonprofits and with attorneys
and legal services.
The work schedule requires significant flexibility to meet the needs of the program and
operations staff and volunteers. The Chief Administrator is required to be flexible and work
occasional evenings and/or weekend, as needed. The Chief Administrator is a full -time,
Reports to: Executive Director
Works in a fast-paced office environment with work requiring multi-tasking. May require bending stopping and prolonged sitting and/or standing.
The mission of the Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation is to create safe and stable homes
and families by inspiring the fight for equal justice. The nonprofit organization serves lowincome Atlantans as they demand safe and stable housing, insist on fair pay for an honest day’s
work, and break free from intimate partner abuse.
AVLF is the largest provider of pro bono legal services in Atlanta, serving over 5000 Atlantans
every year to receive free, first-rate legal services from its staff and the 500 professionals and
students who volunteer with the organization annually. The organization serves the survivors of
intimate partner abuse, children in high-conflict custody disputes, tenants in disputes with their
landlords, and employees denied their wages.
Over the last few years, the organization has grown significantly and has evolved into multiple
programs, offices, and a staff of over 50. The organization has formed strong partnerships with
governmental entities and other nonprofit organizations to meaningfully address a diversity of
issues related to domestic violence and housing insecurity, including pediatric asthma,
homelessness, and trauma.
The organization is passionate about its mission, supports innovation of the staff and
volunteers and has the strong support of both Atlanta’s legal community through an extensive
network of attorneys and law firms and the philanthropic community which supports its
groundbreaking work. For over 40 years, the city’s top firms and brightest legal talent have
volunteered their time and energy to help AVLF clients in their fight for justice—and have found
that they get a great deal back in return. As these lawyers lift the community, their personal
and professional lives—and the lives of AVLF clients—are enriched in equal measure.
Vision: AVLF is the national leader in innovative, holistic legal programs that promote safe and
stable homes and families. Our Atlanta programs are a national model and a catalyst for change
in the way civil legal services are delivered and deployed as a vehicle for community change.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.