AVLF creates safe and stable homes and families by inspiring attorneys to fight for equal justice.
Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation is the largest provider of pro bono legal services in Greater Atlanta. For over 35 years, we have promoted access to justice by inspiring volunteer attorneys to provide high-quality education, advocacy, and representation at no charge to low-income families with basic civil legal needs at critical times in their lives. Our programs include services for domestic violence survivors, landlord/tenant disputes, evictions, unpaid wages, and probate issues.
AVLF SEEKS FAMILY LAW ATTORNEY FOR STANDING WITH SURVIVORS INITIATIVE
The Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation’s (AVLF) Safe and Stable Families Project (SSF) seeks a full-time Family Law Attorney for its Standing with Survivors initiative to coordinate and provide family law assistance and representation for survivors of domestic violence who have sought protective orders through the Safe Families Office in the Fulton County Courthouse. AVLF is a non-profit organization that coordinates the provision of free legal services to low-income individuals who face domestic violence, eviction and other serious legal problems.
- Conducting outreach, regularly attending networking events, and building relationships with the private Atlanta family law community to secure volunteers for pro bono family law cases, and thereafter support said attorneys providing pro bono representation for AVLF clients, including tracking the status of AVLF cases through the Fulton County Superior Court system
- Training attorneys on the dynamics of domestic violence and representing survivors of domestic violence in protective order and family law cases, and creating and updating forms required by clients and volunteers
- Handling all types of family law cases as lead counsel, and also providing limited representation (e.g. assisting clients in completing pleadings), including conducting legal research and preparing memos and various pleadings necessary in family law cases
- Consulting with clients and assessing which cases are appropriate for volunteer attorneys
- Providing back-up legal representation for survivors of domestic violence with their emergency legal needs, including representing them in their protective order hearings
- Maintaining client data and information and ensuring it is properly and accurately stored and tracked in AVLF’s client database, organizing program information and taking initiative to improve processes to provide the highest quality service to clients and volunteer attorneys
- Supervising and delegating appropriate tasks to Family Law Program paralegal
- Working with other members of the SSF team and nonprofit community (legal and social services) to holistically address client needs and address barriers to full engagement in the client’s own legal case(s), and otherwise assisting and empowering the clients of AVLF’s domestic violence-related legal services to obtain true safety and independence as they break away from the cycle of violence
QUALIFICATIONS: Must be a member of the Georgia Bar in good standing, and have at least three (3) years of litigation experience, preferably in the area of family law. Experience in the courtroom and with protective orders/domestic violence clients preferred. Fluency or proficiency in Spanish highly valued but not required. Candidates must also have a demonstrated commitment to social justice and legal services to low-income individuals and/or communities, whether through pro bono work or otherwise. Candidates should also possess these qualities:
- Communication: Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including comfort with public speaking and a demonstrated ability to interact effectively with people of all ages and cultural backgrounds, including communicating with our diverse constituencies. Excellent interpersonal skills required (including a sense of humor!).
- Legal Skills: Strong legal skills, including excellent issue-spotting skills, experience drafting and researching various types of pleadings and memos, experience with the Fulton County Courts, and the capacity to advocate assertively and effectively. Strong attention to detail and organizational skills, and equally strong analytical legal skills are also required.
- Networking: Experience networking and engaging with the private Family Law bar, as well as experience with volunteer recruitment and management. This position requires a high level of self-motivation and organization, including the abilities to self-initiate, self-motivate, problem-solve, prioritize and complete tasks efficiently, and be well-organized.
- Flexibility/Cooperation: Team player with the ability to both lead and follow and a willingness to offer and to accept constructive feedback; ability to handle multiple tasks and problem solve in a demanding and changing environment.
- Technological Skills: Candidates should be comfortable learning and working with new technology and be proficient in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint. Experience with database management and reporting – and with the Salesforce platform in particular – is a distinct plus.
SALARY/BENEFITS: Dependent upon experience and qualifications. This is a full-time position with a well-regarded non-profit organization. Salaries reflect our non-profit status, and include generous fringe benefits.
TO APPLY: Email resume, cover letter, and names of three references to Jamie Perez (email@example.com).
Subject line must read: Family Law Attorney Application
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Position will remain open until filled.
ANTICIPATED START DATE: July 1, 2018
You can download a PDF version of this job description here.